Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jada Kelly Interview - Bikini Competitor

Jada Kelly  Female Muscle Interview

Where and when were you born?

Jada Kelly: I was born on December 2, 1981, in Torrance, CA.

What is your profession?

Jada Kelly: I am a middle school Phys. Ed. Teacher and Personal Trainer. I became an NPC Bikini competitor in 2010!

What do you do for fun that does not relate to the sport, do you have any hobbies?

Jada Kelly: I absolutely love to cook! I am always watching the Food Network and trying to find innovative ways to make healthy recipes.

How and when did you get involved in weight training?

Jada Kelly: I started weight training in college, kind of by accident. I needed a job and the gym on campus was hiring. I started there, cleaning machines and putting together the monthly bulletin board. My boss at the time, saw something in me that I didn’t see in myself and helped me get my first aerobics and personal training certifications. I started teaching kickboxing and lifting weights in my sophomore year of college. By my junior year, I was training clients! I loved everything about working out and just wanted to learn as much as I could.

Jada Kelly  Female Muscle Interview

How often do you train and could you give a brief overview of your weekly workout?

Jada Kelly: I usually do about 30-45 min a day of cardio and switch it up often. My cardio includes sprints on the treadmill, jump rope, kickboxing class, indoor cycling and running stairs. I hit the weights about 5 days a week. Mondays are Back and Rear Delts, Tuesdays are Chest, Triceps and Abs, Wednesdays are leg day #1 with a Quad focus, Thursdays are just cardio, Fridays are Shoulders and Biceps, Saturdays are leg day #2 with a Hamstring focus and Sundays are either just cardio or a full rest day depending on how I feel.

How critical is a good diet in this sport and why?

Jada Kelly: Eating right is everything. Well, I believe it makes up about 90% of your success. You must eat correctly to have enough energy to work as hard as I do. Getting enough of the right carbs, keeping sodium low and cutting out refined sugar is the only way to get through your workouts and achieve the “fitness model” look that most bikini competitors are striving for.

What is your favorite workout and why?

Jada Kelly: My favorite workout is a wide, deep squat on the Smith Machine. Great for the Glutes!

Do you train harder for competition preparation versus training in the offseason?

Jada Kelly: I train just as hard in the weight room but I lighten up on cardio. I also adjust my diet to incorporate more fruit and additional complex carbs.

Did you want to compete from the day you started or did you gradually come in to it?

Jada Kelly: I gradually got into competing. My workout buddy at the time was a fitness competitor. She would always tell me that I would love everything about competing from the workouts to the stage. Something clicked in me in January 2010. Not sure if it was the new year or that I had just turned 28 and decided that this was my year. Either way, I started training for my first competition in January 2010.

When and what was your first competition and how did you do?

Jada Kelly: My first competition was the NPC Muscle Contest 2010 Bodybuilding, Figure and Bikini Championships on March 27, 2010 in Culver City, CA. I placed 5th in my class. It was awesome!! I was hooked.

Jada Kelly  Female Muscle Interview

How often do you compete now?

Jada Kelly: I competed in 3 shows in 2010 and plan to do at least 3 in 2011.

Could you list the competitions you have competed in and your placement?

Jada Kelly:

3.27.10 NPC Muscle Contest 2010, Class C Unlimited Bikini, 5th place
7.24.10 NPC Los Angeles Championships, Class C Unlimited Bikini, 7th place
9.11.10 NPC Tournament of Champions, Class D Unlimited Bikini, 1st place

In your opinion what is your best body part?

Jada Kelly: My butt!

Jada Kelly  Female Muscle Interview

Is women’s bodybuilding as respected as men’s bodybuilding or is it criticized more?

Jada Kelly: I think both can be highly controversial and criticized depending on who you are talking to. As far as respect, I believe that Men’s bodybuilding is more widely respected that Women’s bodybuilding. Then again, Men’s bodybuilding has been around a little longer. Once women start being awarded the same amount of money as men in the major competitions, then we can talk about women’s bodybuilding getting the same respect.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Jada Kelly: In ten years, I will be an IFBB bikini pro and able to influence so many more people than I can today!! I will have completed a cookbook full of healthy recipes, have a DVD workout series, and be a mother. I will be doing what I love, dreaming big and knowing my best is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment